ncurses+gpm interaction

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Sun Apr 24 18:53:15 PDT 2005

Hello,

currently the book installs the ncurses+gpm combo not in the same way as
described in the NCurses FAQ:

http://dickey.his.com/ncurses/ncurses.faq.html#using_gpm_lib

We compile ncurses in LFS without GPM and then let GPM detect them and replace
some functions. But in the FAQ above it is recommended to compile GPM
--without-curses and recompile ncurses --with-gpm. Distros do different
things, so this may be in fact a non-issue. I remember seeing (but cannot
find right now) a segfault report when GMP and ncurses are built in the
LFS/BLFS way.

With NCurses-5.4, this would mean moving GPM libraries to /lib. There is no
need to do so with ncurses-20050319, they will dlopen libgpm if it is
present.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov