Evolution (was: Thunderbird)

Mike Hernandez sequethin at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 17:17:54 PDT 2005

On 4/24/05, Bruce Dubbs <bdubbs at swbell.net> wrote:
> Jeremy Utley wrote:
>
> >> Also, Evolution should probably be moved from Chapter 33, "Individual
> >> Office Programs" to Chapter 36.
> >>

> > I disagree.  Evolution isn't just a mail client - it's a full-blown PIM,
> > and probably should stay in the "Office Programs" section, perhaps with
> > a link from the mail clients section like is done for other programs.
>
> Interesting.  Not being familiar with Evolution, what does "a full-blown
> PIM" do that is different from Mozilla and Thunderbird which both have
> mail, news, Address Book, and calendar?  (I think TB has calandar, but I
> know Mozilla does).

Hopefully I can type fast enough to finish this email before it
becomes redundant ;) Thunderbird doesn't come with a calendar per se,
but you could integrate it with sunbird. If you have firefox,
thunderbird, and sunbird, you basically have the old mozilla suite,
but broken up into pieces with snazzy names.

As for evolution and it's PIM status, aside from the calendar/address
book and mail/news, it can integrate with gaim (gaim looks for
evolution during it's ./configure last I checked, never really tried
it though since I use mutt) and it can  be integrated with groupwise,
and exchange. The evolution home page actually describes it as "The
most popular groupware client for Linux."  You can also sync it with a
palm device.

I guess if you have thunderbird and sunbird, that would be the
"mozilla PIM". Right now it doesn't quite compare to evoution though,
since thunderbird's address book is very minimal and (lacks real vcard
support, cant sync it [yet?], etc). and sunbird is still very young
(0.2).

Takin the opportunity to post about something I've experimented with ;)

Mike