Evolution

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Sun Apr 24 16:28:13 PDT 2005

Bruce Dubbs wrote:

>Interesting.  Not being familiar with Evolution, what does "a full-blown
>PIM" do that is different from Mozilla and Thunderbird which both have
>mail, news, Address Book, and calendar?  (I think TB has calandar, but I
>know Mozilla does).
>
>  -- Bruce

Thunderbird has no calendaring - it's strictly Email/News.  The Mozilla
suite includes calendaring functions, but is no longer officially
supported by the Mozilla project.  The new separate Mozilla calendar
project is Sunbird, which is pretty raw still (only at like a 0.3
version level, I think).  There's also Mozilla Lighting, which is
supposed to be a merge of Thunderbird/Sunbird, but afaik, it hasn't even
gotten off the ground.

To me...the email/calendar functions in the Mozilla Suite always seemed
to be an afterthought - it always seemed that it's main intention was to
be a browser, and these functions were just an added bonus.  Evolution
is written from the ground up to do these things, and do them well.  In
any type of large corporate enviornment, I'd say it's a 99% chance
you're going to be using Evolution, and not one of the other options.

Just my 2 cents worth, take it for what you will, but to me, Mozilla
Suite/Firefox belong in the Browsers section, Thunderbird belongs in
E-mail clients, and Evolution should stick in the Office applications
section.

-J-