D-Bus

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Apr 24 13:31:55 PDT 2005

Andrew Benton wrote these words on 04/24/05 15:22 CST:
> Randy McMurchy wrote:
>
>>Someone mentioned in (I believe this) mailing list that HAL is now
>>required by one of the GNOME-2.10 packages. I don't remember which
>>one. I installed DBUS and HAL, as they are optional depends of
>>GNOME-VFS, so I thought I'd just get them out of the way, and watch
>>carefully any package's interaction with HAL.
>>
>>I have not installed enough of GNOME-2.10 to see which package it
>>was/is that requires HAL.
>>

> I've been running Gnome 2.10 for a while and I'm not aware of any of it needing Dbus.
> What does Dbus do? I notice that Ubuntu uses it (Ubuntu has been my host lately when
> installing LFS on a new computer) and that Gnome 2.10 is more buggy on Ubuntu with
> Dbus, Hal and Inotify. My LFS builds work better with Supermount and FAM

HAL is optional for GNOME-VFS, and I believe mandatory for GNOME
Volume Manager. I don't know for sure yet, I've not built Volume
Manager yet.

I do know someone wrote in to say that HAL is mandatory for one of
the GNOME packages, I can't remember which one was mentioned. Probably
could find it by searching the archives.

As far as being buggy, I'm certain Ubuntu is using the older D-BUS
and HAL as the ABI was just changed a couple of weeks ago. I patched
GNOME-VFS to port the new ABI and have not run across another
package yet that uses HAL.

I'm not as fast building GNOME as you probably are, as I have to do
much note-taking and documentation as I go along so that I can
update BLFS.

--
Randy

15:27:00 up 22 days, 15:00, 2 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00