D-Bus

Andrew Benton b3nt at ukonline.co.uk
Sun Apr 24 13:22:30 PDT 2005

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Someone mentioned in (I believe this) mailing list that HAL is now
> required by one of the GNOME-2.10 packages. I don't remember which
> one. I installed DBUS and HAL, as they are optional depends of
> GNOME-VFS, so I thought I'd just get them out of the way, and watch
> carefully any package's interaction with HAL.
>
> I have not installed enough of GNOME-2.10 to see which package it
> was/is that requires HAL.

I've been running Gnome 2.10 for a while and I'm not aware of any of it needing Dbus.
What does Dbus do? I notice that Ubuntu uses it (Ubuntu has been my host lately when
installing LFS on a new computer) and that Gnome 2.10 is more buggy on Ubuntu with
Dbus, Hal and Inotify. My LFS builds work better with Supermount and FAM