UID/GID

Archaic archaic at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Apr 23 11:17:32 PDT 2005

On Sat, Apr 23, 2005 at 08:47:36AM -0700, Jeremy Utley wrote:

> The problem is, if the book, as it is currently written, is followed,
> then system users & groups will be created as non-system.

But that doesn't actually matter, it is merely an historical issue that
*may* have been relevant way back when, but also may have just been the
way things were done with no real affect on anything. I'm not sure. The
only UID that should *possibly* still be assumed is 0. There is no
actual difference in system behavior between UID 99 and UID 100 unless
someone knows of a horribly broken package out there that makes such
assumptions. It should be strictly a local policy issue.

As far as the book, I really don't have an opinion one way or another as
I, like several others, use my own system.

--
Archaic

Hardened Linux From Scratch
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hlfs