r3771 - trunk/edguide

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Fri Apr 22 11:27:40 PDT 2005

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Bruce Dubbs wrote these words on 04/22/05 12:16 CST:
>

>>Also, I need to write up the rationale for the zone attribte.  For all
>>the index entries except the first, we use a range with the start of the
>>range as the beginning of the section.  What this does is create a
>>pointer in the index to the beginning of the section.  I'm not sure that
>>is what we want.  Would it be better to remove all ranges and jsut point
>>to the specific location for each intex entry?
>

> Could you explain this differently as I don't understand what you
> mean. I'm trying to grasp it, but I'm just not sure what you are
> saying.

A typical entry from fam:

<indexterm zone="fam libfam">
   <primary sortas="c-libfam">libfam.[so,a]</primary>
</indexterm>

The zone IDREFS 'fam' and 'libfam' define the area that the index entry
refers to.  Since all the index entries on the page have 'fam' as the
first IDREF in the zone, all the index entries have links to the top of
the page.  I do not see what the 2nd entry does for us.  I am wondering
if we should just reference the specific point ('libfam') and have the
index link point to that section of the book.