More on UIDs/Permissions

Stef Bon stef at bononline.tk
Fri Apr 22 04:27:11 PDT 2005

Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> Jeremy Utley wrote:
>> Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>

> That is true, however it it technically possible to run multiple servers
> on different ports.  I've never heard of anyone actually doing it
> though.  I'm willing to put all the ftp servers on the same uids/gids
> but I'd like more opinions.

I've thought about a standard of systemaccounts some time ago, and I'm happy
to see it's an issue.
I have the problem when switching from one server to the other, I want to
have as many things the same as possible. Standardized.
UID's are one of them.

Is it a good idea to group systemaccounts together? For example I've a
mailserver running postfix, with virusscanning done by the combination of
clamav/clamsmtp and spamchekking done by spamassassin.
So I need at least 4 different accounts:

postfix:
the uids/gids postfix/postfix and nobody/nogroup and the gid postdrop

clamav and clamsmtp:
the uid/gid clamav/clamav

spamassassin:
the uid/gid spamassassin/spamassassin

What about reserving a range in the numbers for uids and gids for all
mail and related software:
for example from 100 to 150.
And within these you're free to choose.
Any relation between port and uidnr/gidnr is not possible with this concept.

Stef