More on UIDs

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Thu Apr 21 15:00:40 PDT 2005

> In the book, we create a lot of users and groups.  Almost none of them
> have uids/gids specified.  Right now, if a user/group is created without
> specifying,  a uid value > 1000 or a gid value > 100 is used.  The LSB
> says system uids/gids should be below 100.  I am proposing a book wide
> coordinated set of numbers:

*snipped*

Actually, my suggestion would be for those system users that are
associated with network daemons, to use a group to match the port they
open...i.e. apache assigned 80, ssh assigned 22, etc.  No real reason,
except to try to have SOME rhyme/reason to assignment - those that don't
do network stuff can be assigned somewhat arbitrarily.

-J-