More on UIDs

TheOldFellow theoldfellow at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 00:24:22 PDT 2005

Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> In the book, we create a lot of users and groups.  Almost none of them
> have uids/gids specified.  Right now, if a user/group is created without
> specifying,  a uid value > 1000 or a gid value > 100 is used.  The LSB
> says system uids/gids should be below 100.  I am proposing a book wide
> coordinated set of numbers:

This is a really good idea, IMO.  I boot several different systems -
with different root partitions - on my workstation box.  However, I
always mount the same /home partition so that I can get at my mail
archives etc from whatever system I'm running.  It really heps if the
UID/GIDs are the same!  Otherwise you find your wife owns all your mail
files!

R.