[Fwd: Re: nfs-utils]

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Wed Apr 20 22:55:56 PDT 2005

DJ Lucas wrote:

> Bruce, the goal in mind at the time was to avoid changing the script as
> more network filesystems were added (coda, cifs, and afs (andrew???)
> IIRC).  This is really not a big issue as I don't see a lot of new
> network types floating around out there in the world, but simply adding
> _netdev to the fstab automatically lets the script know that it's a
> newtork filesystem and should be acted upon.
>
> Things to keep in mind for rewriting the script:  samba is broken anyway
> WRT _netdev and doesn't keep the option in the the mount list so it was
> specifically worked around for the  umount case.  Use of 'awk' or 'cut'
> is a bad idea unless used only for creating a list of filesystems, but
> the complete list must be generated before the umount actually happens
> (/usr).  Last, we should properly kill running processes before the
> umount happens ('fuser -km', but this has caused locking problems with
> nfs in the past IIRC).  Jim Gifford had a suggested replacement in his
> svn repo some time ago, if it's still availible, it should be examined.

Good points.  I think you talked me into using _netdev, but it means we
need to change some things in the book.  nfs-utils shows a fstab entry,
but does not use _netdev. This section also needs to point to the
section that installs the netfs script.

Samba doesn't mention fstab at all.

ncpfs is an unknown to me.  Does anyone use it?  My understanding is
that the code only supports Netware 3.x and limited functionality for
Netware 4.x.  It appears to be ipx only! The current version of Netware
is 6.5!  Should we drop this package?????