Creating users and groups for BLFS packages

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Apr 20 21:22:47 PDT 2005

Hi all,

I have argued in the past that creating users and groups should be
accomplished in the 'Installation' section of the instructions and
not the 'Configuration' section. Reflecting on this issue, for
some packages it is of course necessary to create the user/group
before installation as the installation installs files expecting
that user/group to exist.

For packages that don't have expectations (I will use the DBus
package as an example, as I'm currently working on it), I would
like to know if the group has a preference for creating users/groups
in the 'Installation' section or in the 'Configuration' section.

All input on this matter is welcome.

--
Randy

23:18:01 up 18 days, 22:51, 3 users, load average: 0.12, 0.05, 0.01