JDK-1.5.0

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Apr 18 21:45:02 PDT 2005

Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> 3.  It seems to be an interaction issue between KDE and OO that may well
> show up with our build.  I was just asking if someone else had seen it.

So I did miss the point to some extent! ;-)  To be honest I don't use
KDE.  I do have it installed, but can't start it ATM.  I'll check my
existing build in KDE before installing the new one and report back.  A
question though, what exactly are the symptoms?  In the original message
it started in 4 seconds, but something else was running correct?  Is it
just startup notification hanging around maybe?  And what about top or
ps or other system monitoring utils, any hints there?   It'll be
interesting to see if the problem still exists with the source build.

Also, as previously mentioned, differences in the KDE environment and
xterm environment?  I'm not entirely well versed here as I don't use
them, but I _think_ I remember reading or hearing something of
differences between {G,K,X}DM's environment and term environment fairly
recent.  Beyond those, I can't think of any other ideas right now.  If
it's there after source build, then anything you can dig now up will
certainly be helpful.

As far as jdk-1.5, if anyone wants to build that, look at the patches
project.  Get all the patches in j2sdk/jdk-1.5.0* except the gcc one.
The good gcc patch is jdk/jdk-1.5.0_gcc-3.4.2+-2.patch.  It builds by
the book instructions with the exception of the version number and make
line. According to the install docs, 'make scsl' builds motif first so
no need to do the three lines for motif, but they won't hurt either, I
still used them last time.  I put up the fop patch locally so we don't
have the report till it goes into the book.
LFS.org/~dj/patches/fop_0.20.5-jdk_1.5.0-1.patch

-- DJ Lucas