JDK-1.5.0

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Apr 18 20:47:52 PDT 2005

Archaic wrote these words on 04/18/05 22:37 CST:
> On Mon, Apr 18, 2005 at 09:46:56PM -0500, Randy McMurchy wrote:
>>I'm not trying to be crusty, but really, Bruce, how does this fit
>>in?
>
> Because it may very well affect the compiled version as well. I see it
> as trying to discern whether there may be a bigger problem that isn't
> necessarily related to binary vs. source. No reason to dismiss the email
> (and from the book editor and list moderator of all people).

And was exactly why I was so surprised to see this message. I take
offense to the Editor of the BLFS book coming onto the -dev list
with problems he's having with a precompiled version of OpenOffice.

It's as if our instructions aren't worthy of building. To me, it is
advertisement to dismiss the BLFS instructions and install the
precompiled version.

This is, after all, BLFS. Those last two letters of the acronym
being "From Scratch". Untarring a precompiled version of anything
hardly qualifies. I suppose it just caught me off-guard that the
Editor of the book, would come on to the -dev list with an issue
concerning a precompiled version of something the book provides
instructions on how to build from scratch.

--
Randy

22:40:00 up 16 days, 22:13, 3 users, load average: 0.02, 0.06, 0.07