LessTif - A Window Manager?

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Apr 17 08:42:18 PDT 2005

Randy McMurchy wrote:

> In my opinion, the LessTif package belongs in the X Window Manager
> section of the book, and not the X Libraries section. LessTif includes
> the mwm Motif compatible window manager. Surely, we should move the
> instructions, right?

What is Lesstif?  http://www.lesstif.org/FAQ.html#QU1.0 says it's a
"clone of the Motif toolkit".  Therefore, IMO, it's a library.  The fact
that it happens to come with a window manager too is purely incidental.
  Note further down that same question in the FAQ it says:

"The primary objectives have been to develop the widget code of the
LessTif Toolkit. Intermittently, the window manager (mwm) and the
combination of UIL compiler and libMrm are being worked on."

The only thing I have at the moment that uses Lesstif is `xpdf', and
that certainly doesn't care about the window manager portion of Lesstif :-)

Regards,

Matt.