Some packages I'd like to see added

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Thu Dec 30 15:43:17 PST 2004

Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> Jeremy Utley wrote:
>
>> Now, my question to the BLFS developers:  What exactly is BLFS?  Is
>> it hard to install packages, or is it instructions to build packages
>> that make the bare bones LFS system more functional?  At last check,
>> many of the BLFS packages are rather simple builds, but the
>> instructions are still there, so I have always assumed that the goal
>> of BLFS is to provide instructions for a more well-rounded system.
>> If I'm wrong, then I apologize for the noise in suggesting packages,
>> and also recommend removing those packages that are simple cmmi builds.
>

> Jeremy,
>  I hope you are asking this question tongue-in-cheek.  BLFS is
> basically a reference for building packages from an LFS base.  There
> is no rule that says that packages don't go in because they are too
> easy.  My goal is to have most of the most common and most used
> packages in BLFS.  However, the maintenance becomes a great problem
> with the large number of packages already in the book (pushing 400
> now). I have no objection to adding a cmmi package.  In fact they are
> fairly easy and serve to tell users that the package *is* easy to
> install.
>
>  I did ask to hold off on new packages until we can get 6.0 out.
>
>  I'd also like to note that I don't want BLFS to be limited to build
> instructions.  My goal is to add techniques and references about how
> to configure and use packages effectively and securely.  As many of
> the packages in BLFS have whole books, these will necessarily be limited.
>
>  --  Bruce

No, Bruce, this wasn't tounge in cheek.  My suggestion was met with
resistance from members of the BLFS development community because the
packages are simple C-M-MI packages.  However, most of what you guys
have in BLFS is the exact same thing, so it made me wonder - what
exactly IS the criteria for getting into BLFS - obviously the criteria
is "useful to a BLFS Editor", since THEY decide what goes in and what
doesn't.

-J-