Some packages I'd like to see added

David Jensen djensen at inebraska.com
Thu Dec 30 14:42:12 PST 2004

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> David Jensen wrote:
>
>> - Fortune -
>> I found the 'fortune' hint and installed it that way.  Then I see in
>> the same directory;
>> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/games/amusements/fortune/fortune-0.2.tar.gz
>>
>> It seems a better version, not requiring the utils or the .dat files
>> at all. However it has no fortunes included.  I don't know what Jeremy
>> intended.
>
> I installed the Fortune program as it was a dependency of
> XScreenSaver. The version pointed to in the BLFS XScreenSaver
> instructions works okay. However, the default installation paths
> are horrible. But, it *is* simply a make-make install package.

I still like fortune-0.2, it does not require the building util/strfile to
build .dats, because they aren't needed.

On the minus side, and these could be patched.
1)  The data dir is hardcoded /usr/share/games/fortunes, fine with me.
2)  ]$ fortune
       works, but
     ]$ fortune humorists
       does not, it requires the full path, /usr/share/games/fortunes/humorists

in fortune-0.2 ]#
make &&
install -s fortune /usr/bin &&
install -m 644 debian/fortune.6 /usr/man/man6

The mod version is required for the cookies only.

in fortune-mod-9708 ]#
cd datfiles &&
rm Makefile &&
install -d /usr/share/games/fortunes &&
for file in $( find -maxdepth 1 -type f ); do
   install -m 644 $file /usr/share/games/fortunes
done

Note: This does not install the 'offensive' cookies

Forgive the noise, I just wanted to go through the build.  This is my way.
---
David Jensen