Some packages I'd like to see added

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Dec 30 11:53:46 PST 2004

Jim Gifford wrote:
> Randy McMurchy wrote:
>
>> As far as your xinetd.d setup, I read it. I disagree with it.
>> IIRC, there were no positive remarks made towards your suggestion.
>> This indicated to me the community did not think it was a good idea,
>> or was indifferent to the idea.
>>
>> I mean, really, Jim, what is the point in modifying an existing
>> configuration to a different configuration *to do the same exact
>> thing*?
>>
>> How does this make "the instructions more complete", or "provide
>> more usefulness?
>>
> It's called consistency. We use modprobe.d, rc.d, dev.d, and profile.d.
> Why not xinetd.d.

Perhaps you have a point Jim. But because I'm not a fan of using
the .d directories when a single file works just as well, I didn't
want to do it. Not counting the work it would take to go through
the book and replace all the entries of adding a section to xinetd.conf
and replacing them with files in /etc/xinetd.d.

I don't care either way, mind you, I just felt my time was better
utilized in improving the book in other ways, than to spend a
bunch of time redoing what already works.

--
Randy