Some packages I'd like to see added

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Dec 30 11:45:29 PST 2004

David Jensen wrote:

> - Fortune -
> I found the 'fortune' hint and installed it that way.  Then I see in the
> same directory;
> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/games/amusements/fortune/fortune-0.2.tar.gz
>
> It seems a better version, not requiring the utils or the .dat files at
> all. However it has no fortunes included.  I don't know what Jeremy
> intended.

Jeremy makes a legitimate point about Fortune. If XScreenSaver
bitches at run-time if Fortune isn't installed, then the BLFS
instructions need to provide a mechanism to disable it from
XScreenSaver or make it a required depend.

Now, keep in mind that are are several *required* dependencies
of BLFS packages that are not included in the BLFS book. So being
a required dependency does not alone make a package automatically
included in the book.

I installed the Fortune program as it was a dependency of
XScreenSaver. The version pointed to in the BLFS XScreenSaver
instructions works okay. However, the default installation paths
are horrible. But, it *is* simply a make-make install package.

--
Randy