Some packages I'd like to see added

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Thu Dec 30 10:27:24 PST 2004

Jeremy Utley wrote:

> Now, my question to the BLFS developers:  What exactly is BLFS?  Is it
> hard to install packages, or is it instructions to build packages that
> make the bare bones LFS system more functional?  At last check, many
> of the BLFS packages are rather simple builds, but the instructions
> are still there, so I have always assumed that the goal of BLFS is to
> provide instructions for a more well-rounded system.  If I'm wrong,
> then I apologize for the noise in suggesting packages, and also
> recommend removing those packages that are simple cmmi builds.

Jeremy,
  I hope you are asking this question tongue-in-cheek.  BLFS is
basically a reference for building packages from an LFS base.  There is
no rule that says that packages don't go in because they are too easy.
My goal is to have most of the most common and most used packages in
BLFS.  However, the maintenance becomes a great problem with the large
number of packages already in the book (pushing 400 now). I have no
objection to adding a cmmi package.  In fact they are fairly easy and
serve to tell users that the package *is* easy to install.

  I did ask to hold off on new packages until we can get 6.0 out.

  I'd also like to note that I don't want BLFS to be limited to build
instructions.  My goal is to add techniques and references about how to
configure and use packages effectively and securely.  As many of the
packages in BLFS have whole books, these will necessarily be limited.

  --  Bruce