Some packages I'd like to see added

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Dec 30 07:15:58 PST 2004

Jeremy Utley wrote:

> My opinion would be that a lot of this stuff is essential for a release,
> but not necessarily for the SVN version of BLFS.

Again, we'll just need to A2D. The life cycle of BLFS is that as
we near a release of LFS, SVN BLFS needs to be stable. Unlike LFS,
where *every* package is tested by *every* user who install LFS,
BLFS must keep things somewhat stable as it might be that only a
handful or less people use the instructions.

Of those, most who encounter a problem will simply do what it
takes to fix it and not report anything and the issue remains.

So, unlike LFS, BLFS needs to ensure the package instructions are
good from the get-go. At least this is my feeling.

I just had a message sent to me the other day from a long-time
LFS community member. He says "I don't use BLFS instructions, as
I build things my way". I've seen Tushar's build scripts, they
vary from the book by a mile. With this in mind, I wonder how
many people that are hard-core LFS'ers, actually use BLFS
instructions. I know my builds vary from the instructions, but
mostly adding parameters to configure.

--
Randy