Some packages I'd like to see added

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Thu Dec 30 06:10:50 PST 2004

Randy McMurchy wrote:

> DJ Lucas wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 2004-12-29 at 04:11 -0800, Jeremy Utley wrote:
>>
>>> Hey Guys -
>>>
>>> Just throwing this out for comment - I know you're in the finishing
>>> stages for BLFS-6's release...but there's a few things I'd like to
>>> possibly see added in after that.  Let me know what you think:
>>>
>>> Messaging software (irssi, xchat, gaim)
>>

>> Fits well in chapter 36.  Would be really nice to complete that section
>> with messaging sofware.
>

> Since there are so many (I have one in mind for addition after
> the release of 6.0), should be discuss which one(s) to add, or
> just let Editors pick whichever one they want to.
>
> Probably should wait until after 6.0 is released though.

That was my intention right from the beginning of suggesting this -
after 6.0 is released.  And, as I said, I'm more than willing to help
out by writing the initial pages for them, and submitting as patches to
the BLFS XML, as I've done with a couple of previous updates - I hope
doing this is helping you guys out a little - I know keeping BLFS up to
date is rather difficult, and with my frequent building, I come across
updates quite easily.

>>> Fortune (utilized by xscreensaver)
>>

>> I wonder where though...best currently would be chapter 10...but it
>> really doesn't seem to fit anywhere WRT the current layout.  If it
>> weren't for xscreensaver, I'd say it's not for BLFS.
>

> I have a patch for the Fortune Makefile, I suppose I could write
> a hint that would just take me a few minutes. I too agree, that
> there's really no place in BLFS for Fortune.

I don't know what fortune package you guys are building - I've always
used the fortune-mod-9708 referenced in the old hint, and that
particular package has a few different options that are passed into the
makefile to control the build.  But yes, fortune would probably fit best
in chapter 10...and if you don't want Xscreensaver to keep saying
"/usr/games/fortune - no such file or directory", it should probably be
added.  Because of this, I'd almost consider fortune to be an essential
thing for Xscreensaver.

-J-