Some packages I'd like to see added

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Wed Dec 29 23:47:14 PST 2004

Archaic wrote:

>On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 11:11:29PM -0600, DJ Lucas wrote:
>

>>On Wed, 2004-12-29 at 04:11 -0800, Jeremy Utley wrote:
>>

>>>Messaging software (irssi, xchat, gaim)
>>>

>>Fits well in chapter 36.  Would be really nice to complete that section
>>with messaging sofware.
>>

>But 2 of the three are really simple packages to install. I have no
>experience with xchat, though.

Xchat has a lot of options...but what about all the other packages in
BLFS that are the same old same old cmmi process?

>>>Fortune (utilized by xscreensaver)
>>>

>>I wonder where though...best currently would be chapter 10...but it
>>really doesn't seem to fit anywhere WRT the current layout.  If it
>>weren't for xscreensaver, I'd say it's not for BLFS.
>>

>Again, a simple cmmi. Doesn't really seem like book material.

Huh?  Last time I installed fortune, there were about 4 different
options you could enable or disable, and there was no configure script -
they were set by env vars passed into the makefile.

>My concern is the number of packages that get stale because we don't
>have enough manpower to constantly update packages (just like exim). I
>would understand if cmmi wasn't enough, or a 2 minute read through
>README or INSTALL didn't cover what you needed to know.

You add stuff that very FEW people will ever need to touch, like Apache
ANT, Sysstat.  You've got 6 different web browsers included in BLFS, but
no messaging.  People ask us on the irc support WHY there's not
instructions for this stuff in BLFS.

If you're going to say that BLFS should be about hard to install
packages, then remove all the simple cmmi programs out of it.  If it's
about making a more well-rounded system, be it for desktop or server
use, every one of the programs I've proposed are warranted to be
included...and you've even got someone willing to do the work!

-J-