Some packages I'd like to see added

Archaic archaic at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Dec 29 21:41:49 PST 2004

On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 11:11:29PM -0600, DJ Lucas wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-12-29 at 04:11 -0800, Jeremy Utley wrote:
> >
> > Messaging software (irssi, xchat, gaim)
>
> Fits well in chapter 36.  Would be really nice to complete that section
> with messaging sofware.

But 2 of the three are really simple packages to install. I have no
experience with xchat, though.

> > Fortune (utilized by xscreensaver)
>
> I wonder where though...best currently would be chapter 10...but it
> really doesn't seem to fit anywhere WRT the current layout.  If it
> weren't for xscreensaver, I'd say it's not for BLFS.

Again, a simple cmmi. Doesn't really seem like book material.

My concern is the number of packages that get stale because we don't
have enough manpower to constantly update packages (just like exim). I
would understand if cmmi wasn't enough, or a 2 minute read through
README or INSTALL didn't cover what you needed to know.

--
Archaic

Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists
precisely in this; that he does good not because he is forced to do so,
but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it.

- Mikhail Bakunin