Some packages I'd like to see added

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Dec 29 21:11:29 PST 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-29 at 04:11 -0800, Jeremy Utley wrote:
> Hey Guys -
>
> Just throwing this out for comment - I know you're in the finishing
> stages for BLFS-6's release...but there's a few things I'd like to
> possibly see added in after that.  Let me know what you think:
>
> Messaging software (irssi, xchat, gaim)

Fits well in chapter 36.  Would be really nice to complete that section
with messaging sofware.

> Fortune (utilized by xscreensaver)

I wonder where though...best currently would be chapter 10...but it
really doesn't seem to fit anywhere WRT the current layout.  If it
weren't for xscreensaver, I'd say it's not for BLFS.

> gkrellm

Don't know anything about gkrellm, but based on the description below,
it should fit well in sysutils...I'll have to check it out sometime.

> Messaging software is something that BLFS has never addressed in it's
> history, and I think it would be a nice addition.  Fortune is utilized
> by some of the screensavers in xscreensaver to put random quotes on the
> screen, and gkrellm makes a very nice system monitoring daemon for a
> desktop system.
>
> I know you guys are super busy, so I even volunteer to write these up in
> BLFS XML format and submit patches when the time comes.
>
> -J-

Thank you very much for the help...I like all of the above except for
Fortune, however, it does take care of a listed dep for xscreensaver so
it should be fine.  :-)

-- DJ Lucas