r3157 - in trunk/BOOK: . introduction/welcome xsoft/suites

Archaic archaic at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Dec 29 09:17:39 PST 2004

On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 01:20:17AM -0600, DJ Lucas wrote:

> Actually, you may have been correct.  Is /usr/share/applications created
> if gnome is installed in /opt and no KDE?  I haven't installed gnome
> into opt.  I've got an install with kde in /usr now, but the only thing
> there besides the ooo*.desktop files is the kde directory (kde installed
> into /usr).  OT, I like the newer KDE...I haven't used it for any length
> of time since ~2.2 IIRC.

FWIW, gnome and kde aren't the only ones who use those desktop files. I
run XFCE and it looks in /usr/share/applications, which is also where
many programs by default place their desktop files. XFCE supports them
automatically, but I do not currently know if it would use
desktop-file-utils if it were already installed.

--
Archaic

The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood.  The
person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to
the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that
person's liberty.  Are you free?

- Andrew Ford