OT - KDE/GNOME

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Dec 28 23:50:38 PST 2004

DJ Lucas wrote:

> OT, I like the newer KDE...I haven't used it for any length
> of time since ~2.2 IIRC.

I'm trying to think how I can phrase this so it belongs in this
forum. Kinda tough. Oh well. It's the holiday season. If the
discussion goes past this message we'll move to chat.

I have been using KDE for a long time. I looked at GNOME but
decided KDE offered more for me. Then, so I could update BLFS,
I built GNOME-2.8.1 and haven't looked back. I also have
KDE-3.3.2 installed, but the single most thing I liked best about
it (automatic network browsing using the LISA daemon), was
building the network tree of available shares in Konqueror. It
doesn't appear to do that any more. I have to type in something
(I can't remember what it is) in the URL bar for the network
shares to show.

So, I now like GNOME. I guess it's because I'm not fussy about
GUI desktops. If it works, I like it. GNOME works. It has not
crashed even one time on me (KDE never crashed either). Someone
once said to me in one of these LFS forums, that I must not ever
have problems because I must not use any optimizations in the
builds. That's true, but I *never* have problems with my LFS
systems either.

The only thing I can think of happening is Firefox seemed to start
running really slow after using it without closing it for about
two weeks (or more). I closed Firefox and restarted it, and haven't
noticed it again.

--
Randy