r3157 - in trunk/BOOK: . introduction/welcome xsoft/suites

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Dec 28 23:34:32 PST 2004

DJ Lucas wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-12-29 at 01:10 -0600, Randy McMurchy wrote:
>

>>On second thought, /usr/share/applications is just as good. That
>>way, if GNOME in /opt is updated, the .desktop files are still there.
>>
>>Sorry for the noise....
>>
> Actually, you may have been correct.  Is /usr/share/applications created
> if gnome is installed in /opt and no KDE?  I haven't installed gnome
> into opt.  I've got an install with kde in /usr now, but the only thing
> there besides the ooo*.desktop files is the kde directory (kde installed
> into /usr).  OT, I like the newer KDE...I haven't used it for any length
> of time since ~2.2 IIRC.

Looking at my /usr/share/applications, the first entry in it is
Abiword.desktop, which I remember hand copying into the directory.
I don't remember if I had to create it.

I'll let you decide where to put the .desktop files. I lean
towards /usr, even if it means creating the /usr/share/applications
directory.

--
Randy