firefox segfaults

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Dec 28 20:26:27 PST 2004

On Tue, 2004-12-28 at 20:24 -0600, Randy McMurchy wrote:

> As soon as I hit the send button, I had a change of heart. Perhaps a
> well written note such as:
>
> Ensure any additional fonts you install are world readable. Incorrect
> permissions on fonts have been known to cause problems with X applications.

Yes..copying from a windows partiton, even with a umask of 0022 results
in 400, 600 or 700 perms....in this case they were 600 because it was
from an NTFS partition inadvertently mounted rw.  The big thing is, that
I did not notice any issues untill I got to firefox....of course I might
have, had I actually tried to use those fonts.  :-)

> In the Installing Fonts section of X *would* be appropriate.
>
> Sorry for my bah-humbug attitude in the previous message.

I understand...If it hadn't happened to me I'd have probably thought the
same thing ;-) ...and kinda still do, but a segfault for an unreadable
font (an unused one by default at that) sounds like it should be BZ'd at
mozilla.org to me.  The startup should be just a tad more forgiving to a
minor misconfiguration I think.

-- DJ Lucas