firefox segfaults

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Dec 28 18:24:03 PST 2004

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> DJ Lucas wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2004-12-28 at 17:41 -0800, Jeremy Utley wrote:
>>

>>> Then in that case you're going to be looking at some form of
>>> permissions problem.  I'd start with checking all your fonts to
>>> ensure they're world-readable - I know I saw something similar when
>>> the fonts I copied over from windows were not world-readable.
>>>
>>> -J-
>>

>> I've been working around this for about two weeks, thinking it was a
>> different problem because I had setup the fonts correctly...or so I
>> thought.  Forgot about the fonts I copied over later.  Thanks J.  It did
>> belong on support, and was specifically windows fonts copied over.  This
>> seems broken and might be more common than expected.  Think a big note
>> is warranted in the book about this segfault?
>

> No. But that's just my opinion. I don't want to set precedent with
> putting a "watch out for this, or it will segfault" message. We could
> do that forever. See below.
>

>> Or better a note to make
>> certain that all fonts are world readable in the configuring X section.
>

> I'm not sure I like this either, but perhaps a message here would save
> some folks some trouble. I just don't like the fact that if users take
> it upon themselves to copy fonts to a directory, and not give read
> read access to normal users, we need to make a message about it. It's
> not so much dumbing down the users, but it is kind of insulting to them
> to have to say that.
>
> I mean, I would read a note that tells me to "ensure any fonts you copy
> from alternate sources are world readable, or readable as the user that
> intends to use them", as "no shit Sherlock".
>
> My opinion is that if a user takes it upon himself to install something,
> without guidance from BLFS, he should be able to do it correctly.

As soon as I hit the send button, I had a change of heart. Perhaps a
well written note such as:

Ensure any additional fonts you install are world readable. Incorrect
permissions on fonts have been known to cause problems with X applications.

In the Installing Fonts section of X *would* be appropriate.

Sorry for my bah-humbug attitude in the previous message.

--
Randy