firefox segfaults

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Dec 28 18:16:24 PST 2004

DJ Lucas wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-12-28 at 17:41 -0800, Jeremy Utley wrote:
>

>>Then in that case you're going to be looking at some form of permissions
>>problem.  I'd start with checking all your fonts to ensure they're
>>world-readable - I know I saw something similar when the fonts I copied
>>over from windows were not world-readable.
>>
>>-J-
>

> I've been working around this for about two weeks, thinking it was a
> different problem because I had setup the fonts correctly...or so I
> thought.  Forgot about the fonts I copied over later.  Thanks J.  It did
> belong on support, and was specifically windows fonts copied over.  This
> seems broken and might be more common than expected.  Think a big note
> is warranted in the book about this segfault?

No. But that's just my opinion. I don't want to set precedent with
putting a "watch out for this, or it will segfault" message. We could
do that forever. See below.

> Or better a note to make
> certain that all fonts are world readable in the configuring X section.

I'm not sure I like this either, but perhaps a message here would save
some folks some trouble. I just don't like the fact that if users take
it upon themselves to copy fonts to a directory, and not give read
read access to normal users, we need to make a message about it. It's
not so much dumbing down the users, but it is kind of insulting to them
to have to say that.

I mean, I would read a note that tells me to "ensure any fonts you copy
from alternate sources are world readable, or readable as the user that
intends to use them", as "no shit Sherlock".

My opinion is that if a user takes it upon himself to install something,
without guidance from BLFS, he should be able to do it correctly.

--
Randy