Exim Upgrade

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Dec 27 15:00:09 PST 2004

Jeremy Utley wrote:
> Hey guys!
>
> Since the listed version of Exim in the BLFS book is quite old, and no
> longer even available on the FTP sites, I took a moment this evening to
> make up a patch to the BLFS XML sources to upgrade it to the latest
> version, 4.43.

You inspired me. I committed an update to 4.43.

> There are no real command changes, other than removing the symlink that
> really shouldn't have been there in the first place.

I made lots of changes. Nothing to the instructions (except for
removing the link which you mentioned, and was BZ'd), but a whole
bunch of support text was added. See the changes at
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~randy/exim.html

> This brings me to a couple of comments regarding our current Exim
> instructions:
>
> 1)  IMHO, we should be setting up Exim to log to syslog, not it's own
> log files - there's a directive in Local/Makefile to do this.

I put some text in that makes it optional for the user.

> 2)  The Exim bootscript is unnecessarily noisy - currently the
> bootscript starts exim with the -q1m flag - this causes a run of the
> queue every minute.  Not only is this really unnecessary, but it will
> rapidly fill up the log files with messages like this every minute:
[snip]
> I'd recommend changing this parameter to -q10m, to run the exim queue
> every 10 minutes instead.

Well, I compromised between yours and Kevin's suggestions. I changed
it to 15 minutes.

--
Randy