Exim Upgrade

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Dec 26 20:26:40 PST 2004

Jeremy Utley wrote:

> I'd recommend changing this parameter to -q10m, to run the exim queue
> every 10 minutes instead.

I run all my systems with queue intervals of 15 minutes, and I think
even this is rather excessive for a default for new users. I'd
personally recommend putting 30 minutes into the book, with text
describing what the user needs to learn before deciding to change it :-)

In fact, with Exim's auto-queue-run-on-new-delivery model, the queue
interval is really only relevant when the host you are trying to deliver
to is unavailable for some reason (or if you have your retry intervals
set in small increments of time), and continually hammering on a host
that's not answering does not really accomplish anything...