Exim Upgrade

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Sun Dec 26 20:17:50 PST 2004

Hey guys!

Since the listed version of Exim in the BLFS book is quite old, and no
longer even available on the FTP sites, I took a moment this evening to
make up a patch to the BLFS XML sources to upgrade it to the latest
version, 4.43.

There are no real command changes, other than removing the symlink that
really shouldn't have been there in the first place.

This brings me to a couple of comments regarding our current Exim
instructions:

1)  IMHO, we should be setting up Exim to log to syslog, not it's own
log files - there's a directive in Local/Makefile to do this.

2)  The Exim bootscript is unnecessarily noisy - currently the
bootscript starts exim with the -q1m flag - this causes a run of the
queue every minute.  Not only is this really unnecessary, but it will
rapidly fill up the log files with messages like this every minute:

Dec 19 21:28:53 vulcan exim[25547]: 2004-12-19 21:28:53 Start queue run:
pid=25547
Dec 19 21:28:53 vulcan exim[25547]: 2004-12-19 21:28:53 End queue run:
pid=25547

I'd recommend changing this parameter to -q10m, to run the exim queue
every 10 minutes instead.

The upgrade patch is attached - if you guys feel that my points above
have merit, I'll be happy to make up patches for that as well.

Thanks,

Jeremy