MPlayer notes

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Dec 24 02:02:43 PST 2004

Hi guys,

Just thought I'd let you know a couple of issues I've encountered with
MPlayer.

First of all the trivial: It's now on version 1.0pre6, with some
important security fixes and loads of bug fixes.

Secondly, the tar command used to extract the codecs fails with recent
versions of tar which don't support the '--strip-paths' option.  It
looks like this got renamed to '--strip-components' in tar-1.15.  As
BLFS-6.0 will be targetting LFS-6.0 I'm not sure this is an issue at all
really.

Thirdly, running 'gmplayer' (which incidentally never worked correctly
for me in previous versions) outputs the following to the console:

"Failed to open /dev/rtc: Permission denied (it should be readable by
the user.)"

Sure enough, `ls -l /dev/rtc` gives:

crw-rw----  1 root root 10, 135 2004-12-24 08:15 rtc

which ties in with /etc/udev/permissions.d/25-udev.permissions:

rtc:root:root:0660

So, is a) LFS default configuration wrong, b) MPlayer wrong in thinking
normal users should have access to the rtc device or c) BLFS missing a
note telling folks they'll need to add another permissions file in the
udev configuration directory to allow access to /dev/rtc?

Finally, the instructions for DVD Playback are out of date with regards
to udev configuration.  Instead of using a symlink (which will get lost
on every reboot), one should be adding a udev rule under the
/etc/udev/rules.d/ directory to create the symlink and have it persist
across reboots.  I managed to get it working by simply putting
'KERNEL="hdc", SYMLINK="dvd"' into /etc/udev/rules.d/24-dvd.rules
(you'll then have to run 'udevstart').

If you'd rather these be put in bugzilla I'll be happy to do so.

Here's wishing everyone a merry Christmas and a very happy new year!

Best regards,

Matt.