Creating symlinks in /dev

Nathan Coulson conathan at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 13:18:54 PST 2004

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 10:11:13 -0600, Randy McMurchy
<randy at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My reading of the comments in /etc/sysconfig/createfiles leads
> me to believe it won't create symlinks. At least there doesn't
> appear to be any option to do this.
>
> In the kdemultimedia instructions, there's a note to create a symlink
> from the cdrom device to /dev/cdrom. This isn't good for an LFS-6.0
> installation, as it would have to be created at boot each time.
>
> Currently, the lfs-dev udev rules create this symlink, so we would
> only need the instruction in the book for folks that
>
> 1) didn't use LFS-6.0
> 2) the symlink wasn't created for whatever reason
> 3) the symlink is invalid for whatever reason.
>
> How do we automate the creating of a symlink in /dev at boot time?
>
> Thanks,
> Randy

no, createfiles wont create symlinks.  [I would love to make it do
that, but I'd have to reuse some of the variable names for something
else...]

A while back, I remember hearing that /dev/cdrom had problems when you
had 2 CDROM devices, was that fixed?
--
Nathan Coulson (conathan)
------