Creating symlinks in /dev

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Dec 17 08:11:13 PST 2004

Hi all,

My reading of the comments in /etc/sysconfig/createfiles leads
me to believe it won't create symlinks. At least there doesn't
appear to be any option to do this.

In the kdemultimedia instructions, there's a note to create a symlink
from the cdrom device to /dev/cdrom. This isn't good for an LFS-6.0
installation, as it would have to be created at boot each time.

Currently, the lfs-dev udev rules create this symlink, so we would
only need the instruction in the book for folks that

1) didn't use LFS-6.0
2) the symlink wasn't created for whatever reason
3) the symlink is invalid for whatever reason.

How do we automate the creating of a symlink in /dev at boot time?

Thanks,
Randy