desktop-file-utils and XDG_DATA_DIRS

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Wed Dec 15 21:08:30 PST 2004

Randy McMurchy wrote:

> So, I suppose I need to update the desktop-file-utils page to include
> notes about the XDG_DATA_DIRS envar. I put a mention about this envar
> in the shared-mime-info instructions (though it needs to be updated to
> include a mention of GNOME and KDE in installations other than /usr),
> but didn't mention it in the desktop-file-utils instructions.
>
> Both packages use this envar! Along with adding notes in the
> shared-mime-info and desktop-file-utils packages, I think it would be
> prudent to add a note to the "Configuring the core GNOME/KDE packages"
> sections to ensure XDG_DATA_DIRS is set properly and to run the
> update-desktop-database program.
>
> In fact, there probably should be some mention in the KDE section
> about installing the desktop-file-utils package.

Randy,
  Obviously you've done a lot of work.  Thanks.  Your comments above
raise a couple of questions.  Should desktop-file-utils just be listed
as a prereq for gnome and kde?  Should shared-mime-info be listed as a
prereq?

Also, I got a 404 when going to
http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/desktop-entry-spec/ that is
referenced in the desktop-file-utils-0.10 section.

Finally, in the shared-mime-info section, the config info should
probably be set up as a here document dropped into /etc/profile.d