Samba issues

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Dec 15 07:38:33 PST 2004

Ian Molton wrote:
> Randy McMurchy wrote:
>
>> 3. Move the libsmbclient library to /usr/lib and symlink back to
>> /usr/lib/samba. This would work, but I'm not a big fan of this hack.
>

> +1 for this but no symlink. Why packages feel the need to subdirectory
> in /lib I dont know. annoying.

 From the Samba release notes (to answer Ian's question):

o   Bjoern Jacke
     * Install libsmbclient into $(LIBDIR), not into hard coded
       ${prefix}/lib. This helps amd64 systems with /lib and /lib64
       and an explicit configure --libdir setting.

Okay, so I should move the libsmbclient.so file to /usr/lib in
the Samba instructions. In past versions of samba, they also
created symlinks like this:

ln -s libsmbclient.so.0.1 libsmbclient.so
ln -s libsmbclient.so.0 libsmbclient.so.1

These are backward compared to most libtool created dynamic libraries
in that the .so.0.1 is file is typically the library with .so.0 and
.so files symlinked.

Are these additional symlinks needed? Should they be created as well?

--
Randy