Samba issues

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Dec 14 17:57:11 PST 2004

Hi all,

Since version 3.0.6 of Samba (currently at 3.0.9), the libsmbclient
library has been moved from /usr/lib to /usr/lib/samba if the default
parameters are given to configure. Some packages have not caught up
to this yet. kdebase is one of them.

I can think of 3 workarounds, and I'd like to get input from y'all
as to which is best.

1. Pass --with-extra-libs=/usr/lib/samba to configure. This works
but the LDFLAGS for everything will include -L/usr/lib/samba.

2. Patch configure and kioslave/smb/Makefile.in (and whatever else
directory Makefiles might need libsmbclient). This would work and
I can't really think of any downside.

3. Move the libsmbclient library to /usr/lib and symlink back to
/usr/lib/samba. This would work, but I'm not a big fan of this hack.

Your input is appreciated. TIA.

--
Randy