BLFS CSS needs color adjustment

Nico R. n-roeser at gmx.net
Tue Dec 14 09:30:31 PST 2004

Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> n-roeser at gmx.net wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>please try the following: set the default colors of your browser to
>>white on black (or very light blue on pink, or similar) and go to
>><URL:http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/general/glib.html>.
>>The texts in the boxes ("Download (HTTP):" etc.) are unreadable here
>>(using Mozilla 1.7.3).
>>

> What colors are you getting?  In my version of Mozilla, the text is
> black, the links are dark blue and the background is light green
> (#f0fff0).
> It looks that way in Firefox too.  Are you overriding the default
> colors?

Yes.
I get some parts of the page where I see my default colors, and other
parts where I see black on grey.

> We've had this color pattern for quite some time and this is the first
> complaint that I've seen.

I don't have a problem with the colors, but a problem with the colors
which are *not* set by the CSS. ;-)

>>We should set both, the foreground *and* the background color - or
>>none of them.
>>
>>Looking at
>><URL:http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/stylesheets/blfs.cssba>,
>>
> Do you mean blfs.css?
>
>>I think that setting the color to black in the "div.sect3 li p"
>>section will probably solve it. If we want to set any colors, doing
>>that for the html (and/or body) element may be useful to make the
>>pages look more nice.

This was probably a wrong guess ...

> And how does that change from the default?

If no colors are specified by CSS, the browser default colors are used.
That's a problem if you have white on black as default colors *and* the
CSS *only* sets the foreground color to black, for example. This will
result in black on black text.
At BLFS, some colors are set, some aren't. This results in a mixture of
user and BLFS CSS colors. Try yourself by temporarily using non-default
browser colors.

Adding

html {
  background-color: #fff;
  color: #000;
}

to the CSS solves my problem. This will probably not work for Microsoft
Internet Exploder with a non-default color scheme, but I don't want to
test such exotic ;-) browsers.
--
Nico