What does it mean if there is no dependency?

Gueven Bay guevenbay at web.de
Mon Dec 13 13:11:00 PST 2004

BLFS Development List <blfs-dev at linuxfromscratch.org> schrieb am 13.12.04 21:48:57:

> On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, Gueven Bay wrote:
>
> > Okay thanks for the very fast answer,
> > but what is the method if I want to write an exact dependency just for these
> > packages (for example popt-1.7)? Have I to look into the configure/make scripts?
> >

>  I think perhaps you misunderstand what the book means by 'dependency'.
> We assume you have a full LFS system. The BLFS book tells you anything
> you need to build before this package.  By working back, you can then
> establish a build order for the packages you want.
>
>  You sound as if you mean "popt needs make and gcc and binutils and
> these other packages".  If you plan to list that then yes, you need to
> look at the configure script and the Makefile{,.in}.  That will allow
> you to determine what it needs, or can use, to build the package.  But
> I'm unclear why you would want to do that.

I need these "dependency graphs" because I'm working on a meta distribution
where I describe the building of components where each component fulfills a
special, neat functionality. Something in the direction of componentizedlinux.org .
And I work from LFS+BLFS forward. Soon I will post here a note about my work.

And thanks for the answer ;)

regards
Gueven Bay