What does it mean if there is no dependency?

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Mon Dec 13 12:48:15 PST 2004

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, Gueven Bay wrote:

> Okay thanks for the very fast answer,
> but what is the method if I want to write an exact dependency just for these
> packages (for example popt-1.7)? Have I to look into the configure/make scripts?

 I think perhaps you misunderstand what the book means by 'dependency'.
We assume you have a full LFS system. The BLFS book tells you anything
you need to build before this package.  By working back, you can then
establish a build order for the packages you want.

 You sound as if you mean "popt needs make and gcc and binutils and
these other packages".  If you plan to list that then yes, you need to
look at the configure script and the Makefile{,.in}.  That will allow
you to determine what it needs, or can use, to build the package.  But
I'm unclear why you would want to do that.

Ken