Verbosity

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Dec 13 11:55:50 PST 2004

Hi all,

Something I do in all my build scripts and now that I think of it
should probably be in BLFS build instructions, so I'll pass it by
the group for your input.

Perhaps this may be overkill, but we'll see what the group has to
say.

I think that all the commands that operate silently such as (including
but not limited to):

ln
install
cp
mkdir
chown
chmod

should include the -v argument. This accomplishes two things:

1. It displays what's going on to the user and there's a higher chance
the user will catch a typo before he goes further.

2. If you log the commands, it will output what is going on to the
log file.

Your input is appreciated.

--
Randy