Speech Synthesis Package

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Dec 9 08:30:54 PST 2004

Hi all,

I think a speech synthesis package should be added to BLFS. Many
reasons for this, chiefly is that none are easy to build. Also,
because GNOME is touted as the leading accessibility desktop for
Linux desktops, I think we should provide instructions to build
a package to help visually impaired folks that want to build their
own systems.

I have tested two opensource packages: FreeTTS and Festival.
I prefer FreeTTS. Here's my reasoning.

1. The newest version of FreeTTS is supported by GNOME. Only an
ages old version of Festival is supported. I could not get
Gnopernicus to work with the newer version of Festival, even
though the newest Festival package works well stand alone.

2. FreeTTS is easier to build (however, it requires a JDK) and
install in a sane location.

3. FreeTTS is touted as a better performing package.

There's probably other things I could say about each package, but
I can't think of anything right now.

I would like input from anyone with experience using either of
these packages. TIA.

--
Randy