Proposed Changes to Patches Repository

Jim Gifford lfs at jg555.com
Wed Dec 8 20:26:19 PST 2004

Hi everyone.

Since Tushar has been busy, I have assumed control of the patches
project with his blessing. Tushar will still be assisting as time
permits. I would like to publicaly thank him for his support.

 I have plans for the patches project that will effect everyone. I would
like your feedback on the proposed changes to the patches repository.

1 - SVN Structure
    Implement a structure that is easier to navigate and secure for all
developers
    control of their own patches.
              Visual of proposed structure
                   trunk --> lfs {LFS Related Patches} Responsible Party
LFS Editors
                   blfs {BLFS Related Patches} Responsible Party BLFS
Editors
                   hlfs {HLFS Related Patches} Responsible Party HLFS
Editors
                   hints {Hints Related Patches} Responsible Party Patch
and Hints Maintainers
                   other {Patches not in above categories} Responsible
Party Patch Maintainers
       Under this SVN Change, the xLFS maintainers, would control their
patches, and
       would be responsible for making sure they meat the patches
projects guidelines
       which would be set by Patch Maintainers, Matt, Bruce, and Robert.
       This would also mean the elimination of private patches archives,
since you would
        have full control over the patches for your own books. As the
patches maintainer
        I would enforce header policies only over the LFS, BLFS, and
HLFS patches, everything
        else would be under the xLFS leaders control.
        Hints and other patches, would fall under my control.

2 - Online Structure
       The additional of HLFS and hints patches. To the website menu.
*-Minor Issue

3 - Adding Identifier for Architecture into the Patches Header, since we
are starting to
     see a lot of patches for different architectures, we should specify
the architecture in
     the header somewhere, someone said it was there, this may be a mute
issue.

--
------
jim at linuxfromscratch.org