BIND-9.3.0

Archaic archaic at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Dec 8 20:03:34 PST 2004

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 08:56:38PM -0600, Randy McMurchy wrote:

> With the 12 binaries built by the BIND package it would seem to
> be a performance thing if there were shared libs, as all of the
> binaries link against the shared libs. Seems like loading a bunch
> of redundant code if one uses the bind utilities frequently.

Ahhhhh! I forgot about the utilities. I was thinking of only the daemon.
Good call. Shared would decrease the size of the bins and the memory
footprint it running the utilities while named is running. But then
again, I don't run dozens of instances of dig at the same time. ;)

--
Archaic

A ``decay in the social contract'' is detectable; there is a growing
feeling, particularly among middle-income taxpayers, that they are not
getting back, from society and government, their money's worth for taxes
paid. The tendency is for taxpayers to try to take more control of their
finances ..

- IRS Strategic Plan, (May 1984)