GDM Questions

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Dec 3 17:48:00 PST 2004

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Finally, I see the light at the end of the tunnel. The update to
> GNOME-2.8 is almost complete.

After a couple of minor issues between the keyboard and the chair,
things are looking good here!  :-)  Good work.

> The last package to update is GDM,
> but I'm confused about a couple of things.
>
> First, the boot script (last updated 10/2, by DJ)

Hmmm...I think that was when I added the date and last edited by
properties.  I don't recall working on that bootscript ever.

> has
> /opt/gnome-2.4 listed in the path. This is *ages* old, even by
> BLFS standards. We've been at 2.6 since I can remember. I don't
> recall anybody posting anything that the bootscript needs to be
> updated.
>
> Does anyone use GDM?
>
> The bootscript, as is, hasn't worked properly for I don't know
> how long now.

Better stated, does anyone actually use (or need) the bootscript?  :-)
I don't use gdm, but from a casual look, ISTM that it's probably easiest
to start it from inittab.  Although this has been hashed out once before
without a clear conclusion as to which is better:

http://archives.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/blfs-dev/2003-July/003111.html

When playing with gdm, I've not had the pleasure of the scenarios
mentioned in that thread, so I have nothing intelligent to add to the
above.  I just remembered it and thought it might be worth a mention
given that nobody has brought the broken bootscript to our attention yet.

<Snip>

-- DJ Lucas