Sharutils

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Dec 1 07:31:35 PST 2004

Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Randy McMurchy wrote:
>
>> Well if you could pass along the instructions to uudecode something,
>> I will do that. But all I have now is the C code to create a binary
>> that does the uudecoding and I need to be able to do the uudecoding
>> from a shell script.
>
> Use the attached files.  I did some very minor hacking to get around
> some constants.
> Compile with
>  gcc -o uudecode uudecode.c
>  gcc -o uuencode uuencode.c
>
> Encode with:
>
>  cat orig-file | uuencode save-filename > uuencoded-file
>
> Decode with:
>
>  cat uuencoded-file | uudecode
>
> The file will be saved as save-filename.
>
>  -- Bruce
>
> P.S.  We might just want to decode the file and tell users where to
> download the decoded file (as a patch?)

Not to be argumentative, but instead, looking for a solution,
decoding the file is out of the question. The file is encoded
in the distribution because there is a license agreement one
must agree to before the file is decoded. One must run the
file, read the license agreement, agree to it, then if a proper
reply is given (y), the file is decoded using uudecode.

So this leaves us with creating a patch with the uudecode.c
and system.h files and installing it in the patch repository.
Then providing instructions to the user to unpack the patch
and compile it.

The file needing uudecoding in the distribution must also be
patched to include a ../ in front of the uudecode program in
the script, or we tell the user to install the recently
compiled uudecode program in his/her path.

I don't remember the Xorg installation instructions needed all
this auxillary work to get it to compile, but I'll see what I
can do to make this as painless as possible from a user's point
of view.

--
Randy