FAM patch and patches in general

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar.wants at nospam.com
Sat May 31 17:48:22 PDT 2003

OKay, this came up at one time in the past, and apparently got
ignored... I'm going to again recommend that all patches have comments
placed at their heads explaining where they came from (to give credit,
especially where patches have been appropriated from other sources) and
what they do (so that it can be more easily determined when they become
obsolete).

The reason being that it's been brought to my attention that the book
doesn't call for one to execute autoconf after applying the dnotify
patch to fam sources.  Possibly if someone had looked at the patch
carefully while adding comments explaining they got it from SGI (which
in my opinion doubles as a warning to the user.  Heh) they would have
realized that the patch only modifies configure.in and makes things in
other files dependent on an environment variable which never gets set
unless you regenerate the configure script.

(Before anyone can go there, making a new diff after running autoconf
results in a pretty huge and boring diff file, which is probably why SGI
didn't do it that way themselves)

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org